Tuesday 7 February 2012

Life without the Pfaff monster

So, I still have no sewing machine. I am going crazy waiting for it to come back, I think my poor husband is going around the bend!

I have so much time on my hands without the machine I have taken to giving the house a makeover! Selling old furniture I've grown tired off in the hope I will have enough pennies to buy some new. I have been painting, sanding and distressing the furniture I do like that needed a makeover. 

I have found a way to satisfy my sewing craving in some small part though. I pulled out my copy of Cath Kidston's 'Patch' and set about making the cover kit, a dresden plate cushion.



Some more practice at Paper piecing, this is a new learning curve for me, I do like it but I must admit I find the clean angles of a hexie much easier than the curves on these blades.

I also took the opportunity to practice some hand quilting as I couldn't machine quilt it.


It fits really nicely on my 'thinking' chair, although at this rate I will have to do my thinking on the floor if I put anymore cushions on it! My only criticism with the kit is that the fabrics were overly starched or chemically treated and very stiff, making it very difficult when stitching the curves around the papers. The white cotton provided for the pillow case was also too small to cut the pieces they advise in the pattern! I think I will be emailing the publisher to point this out, I was able to adjust my sizing and seam allowances and get away with it but a new sewer may not find it so easy if they have an undersized piece too.


I also had some delightful post from the lovely Fiona, she saw my blog post asking for tips on text fabric lines and sweetly sent me these two as a thank you for running the Rainbow Charm Swap. I have already cut a few hexies out of them and diligently put the few pounds she saved me into the Fat Quarterly Retreat jar - it is growing!


Finally, tomorrow is my wonderful husbands 46th birthday and our 9th wedding anniversary. We agreed no presents in advance to save money this year but I couldn't help but make him a little something to unwrap. I hope he likes it. Folkestone is the first place we lived together as a couple and it holds very fond 'courting' memories for us. I used an old map and scrap of vintage lace and my trusty letter stamps and Versaink.



I'm off to hunt out some Fugly fabric to pop on my blog for you fugly lovers out there and I'll be linking up to Lucys Fugly Fabric Party! I know I wont be looking long, there is plenty of fugly lurking in my stash!

11 comments:

Nicky said...

Absence makes the heart grow fonder - but sounds like you are making good use of your time!

Isisjem said...

Great idea for a low cost present with special meaning! I am enjoying all the fugly fabric posts but have nothing to contribute that I can think of!

Kelly said...

Oh the agony of having no machine, I hope it comes back soon!
Love your hubbies present and the cushion!

Cindy said...

the dresden pillow is gorgeous. well done!

Katy Cameron said...

Cute pressie, but I hope for everyone's sake your machine comes home soon!

Sarah said...

Your dresden cushion is great, but I hope your machine comes back soon!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Oh I have that cushion/bag to make - looks lovely.

Happy Anniversary and Happy Birthday Hubby x

Judith, Belfast said...

Great gift idea for hubbie! When I don't have my Pfaff around I feel like my right arm has been cut off! Hope you get it back soon!Jxo

Canadian Abroad said...

Could the sewing machine shop not lend you a machine while they repair yours? I know, wishful thinking but a garage often has a courtesy car so sewing machine shops should have courtesy machines too! Great brithday present!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

oh such a cute cushion!! Love the cosy chair :)
That fabric is gorgeous!

Linda Coleman said...

It just shows you have a problem, you are addicted to fabric, you have to get your fix each day. Love the cushion and the gift for your hubby is a great idea.