Monday 9 July 2012

Can you sew for Children in Hospital? & 3rd Qtr Finish-Along

Today a friend of mine put out a plea on Facebook for sewist's to help local children receiving care in the hospital. They are looking for 'Wiggly' Bags which are used to hold the hickman lines. These can be made with even the most basic of sewing knowledge and I would really love to get some together to help out. If you think you could make one or even a few....read on!

The Olivia Holmes Foundation is organising the Wiggly bag collection and is a cause close to home for us as Olivia attends the same school as my daughter. I have put together a short tutorial for the wiggly bag and for anyone wanting to know more here is a brief introduction to the charity:



The Olivia Holmes Foundation is a Newton Abbot based charity set up by Olivia’s parents Nicholas and Lisa Holmes in October 2010 when Olivia received her first all clear from a childhood cancer. The foundation received charity status in January 2011.

In July 2009 at the tender age of 3 and a half Olivia was diagnosed with Ewing’s Sarcoma – a rare form of bone cancer in her lower spine. Only a handful of cases are identified in the UK every year. Despite the size of the tumour Olivia managed to survive the gruelling chemotherapy, radiotherapy and operations.

After living with the treatment of cancer and side effects for over a year Nicholas and Lisa decided that they wanted to use their knowledge and experience to improve the lives of other children and their families who also experience the treatment of cancer.

With initial donations from family and friends they set up the Olivia Holmes Foundation as a charity to raise awareness of childhood cancer – to improve the hospital room environment, outside space and lives of those children and families affected.

“With hospital treatments lasting into weeks at a time sometimes only a few days a month are good days at home making it even more important that we make the experience more of a home from home than it is now. The medical treatment is first class – we just want to improve on the surroundings that the children and their “Chemo Buddy” (The Parent/Carer/Guardian) have to stay in for long periods of time”

“If we can improve the lives that these children have in hospital then we will have achieved our goal! But somehow we have accepted that the task will never be complete with the number of children being diagnosed with a childhood cancer increasing”

On 21st June 2011 the foundation was awarded HSBC Devon Charity Partner of the Year, with events taking place throughout the branches in Devon. The charities collection boxes can also be found located in the branches.

To make a wiggly bag you will need:

Two 6" charm squares (you can use 5" charms but omit the french seam and sew a standard seam, perhaps overlocking raw edges with a zig zag stitch to prevent fraying)
A 1" strip of sew on velcro
Four 50cm cotton tape ties (or ribbon)



Press over one edge of your charms by aprox 1/4" and repeat to enclose the raw edge. Topstitch aprox 1/8" from the folded edge.


Repeat with the second charm, this time add in two of the cotton ties as you sew, each about 1" from the edge. I doubled back over the ties to give them a little added strength.


Find the centre of your charm and sew on the velcro.


Place the charms wrong sides together, with the remaining two cotton ties approximately 1.5" to 2" in from the top. Sew together around the 3 raw edges using a 1/8" seam. (if you are using 5" charm squares skip this step and sew them straight together right sides facing, then overlock your raw edges using a zig zag stitch, This will help stop them fraying in the wash)


Turn wrong side out. Sew around same 3 sides this time using a 1/4" seam, ensuring you keep the cotton ties out of the way.


Turn right side out and admire your very speedy wiggly bag!


Now, go and grab some lovely bright cheerful kid friendly fabric and get making one or two or three or as many as you can! They literally only take minutes and I have 11 on the go to donate, I know those kids would be more than grateful of anything you can make. If you don't have time to make any and want to donate some charm squares or supplies I know that would be really helpful too. When you are ready let me know and I will send you my address for mailing.

SO.....


Onto the finish along!



Well, I don't have a lot of WIP's at the moment but I know a few things that need to be on this list

1. My BQS3 mini quilt need to be finished, quilted and bound
2. My embroidery on the Frame Purse swap needs finishing and the purse making up
3. Finish and donate the Wiggly Bags
4. See if I can finish the top for the Aneela mini quilt, that is dependant on obtaining the fabric I need.
5. Choose and make up sample blocks for my month of the Modern Stitching Bee
6. Make my Mums birthday present (can't say what it is because she reads this lol!)
7. Catch up on the Zakka sew along for the weeks I missed

I am sure there will be lost more that needs to be finished in the next 3 months but that is enough to keep me going!

21 comments:

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Great list, great bags, I will make some for sure. Need tape, but that's not a problem, just a brief hold-up xxx

Katy Cameron said...

Good plan on the wiggly bags, I shall try and remember to get some tape

Wendy said...

I'm in! How many do you want and what's the deadline? I've got loads of kiddie friendly fabrics, I take it they're for different ages?

Kelly said...

I'll get some tape this week and make a few xx

memmens said...

I've shared on facebook and twitter, have a friend who is teaching sewing in mid Devon will see if her group can do some, they've been making for Dress A Girl Around the World.

Wendy said...

Sorry me again, I came back to check the type of tape needed... 50cm is half a metre... do you mean 50mm (though that is still wider than the tape you've used)?

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I'm sure I can make a couple too. I'm confused about the tape, although I only have ribbon anyway - what width and what length should each strip be?? xx

Anonymous said...

These bags are for all ages ranging from toddlers to teenagers.

Each Tape are to be approx 50cm in length.

Really appreciate all the help everyone is giving.

Best Wishes Lisa Holmes x
The Olivia Holmes Foundation

Sarah said...

Hi there - I am making you some wiggly bags but am waiting for the cotton tape to arrive. Can you send me the postal details and I'll forward them as soon as I can get them finished up?

verykerryberry said...

Hi Emily, will get some made, could you send your address for mailing or I could pass them to Mary- don't mind either way!

Sew Scrumptious said...

I'm in! Can you send me your address please. I'll blog about it next week too. xhttp://sewscrumptious.blogspot.co.uk/

verykerryberry said...

Posting on my blog today x

Anonymous said...

I'm going to make a couple for you tonight and post about this tomorrow- can you send me your address to post them to please? :)

kerry(AT)penny-dog.co.uk

Anonymous said...

blogged as promised http://pennydog.wordpress.com/2012/07/17/wiggly-bags-stitching-for-charity/

In the post tomorrow

Mina said...

I'm in too! Can I get the postal address please?

I will also blog about this

April said...

I would love to make and send some wiggly bags. Can you send me the info. the5fishers@ymail.com

Iti Rangi Handi-Crafts said...

Send your address to scrappy.do@sky.com please and some wiggly bags will be on their way to you shortly. Keeping busy making dresses and shorts for Dress a girl (and boy)around the world too - so plenty of oddments of material to make these bags. :-)

sky-blu-pink said...

Happy to make some! Please let me know the address? You can contact me via my blog. Geraldine

Pam French said...

I need the address to send the wiggly bags to please. please use avonlea100uk@yahoo.co.uk e mail address.

Second Chance Tan said...

Hello...... do you still need these wiggly bags making?? If so, can you let me know the address to send them to please? Thanks, Tanya x

Unknown said...

Just saw this posting and would be happy to make some for the children if you still need them. Please let me know and where to mail them to. Thanks Ronnie10700@yahoo.com