Friday 5 July 2013

Almost done swooning!

Ahhh, WIP how I do not love thee!

Being a virgo and a natural neat freak I cannot stand WIP's! They simultaneously make me feel guilty for neglecting them and annoy me by cluttering up the place.

Swoon is different. I am glad Swoon stayed a wip for so long. When I first finished the top I really did not like it. I was unsure on the colours and the prints I had chosen. So she hung up on the wall in my studio waiting to be quilted. I told myself that once the frame came I would quilt her, because she was pretty big and that was probably a good idea. Once the frame arrived I told myself I needed to wait a while longer, after all I needed to practice didn't I?! I even had the backing and wadding ready, but kept making excuses.

As with most things, I suddenly took a whim one day and pulled it down from the wall and loaded it up. I find that this is by far the best way to do things, I always work better when it is spontaneous.

I am.so.glad.I.waited. I LOVE IT!

I quilted it in a small infinity loop with a lovely 40wt Metler cotton


swoon quilting


I am slowly learning how to work within the limits of the small throat space that I have on my machine. Whilst the frame is amazing it can be frustrating to be restricted by the space I can work in. Oh for that long arm of my dreams!

But for now I am content with what I have, especially when it helps me achieve such a wonderful quilt.

Finished quilting my #swoon quilt just in time to catch the last of the evening sun.

The binding is all sewn on, all that remains is for me to find a spare moment to hand stitch it down, something tells me Swoon wont mind, after all she has patiently waited over 6 months to get this far, she won't mind hanging on a little longer :-)

18 comments:

Gertie Pye said...

This is such a byooooooootiful Swoon! I think this might be one of my favourite colour combinations so far. The quilting is just the right balance. Enjoy hand sewing the binding down - perfect evening relaxation therapy!

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Well savoured, it looks amazing! I know how you feel about WIPs - I hate having things 'hanging over me' xxx

Fran said...

It's gorgeous! I love the fabrics you used.

Rachel said...

Such a pretty quilt!

Cindy said...

The wait was well worth it. It's absolutely beautiful.

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Emily it is absolutely stunning!! I love the quilting pattern. I feel the same about WIPs and yet I keep creating them!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Absolutely beautiful!

tlcukjourney said...

You are an amazing seamstress!

Liz DandeliondD said...

It looks gorgeous and your quilting is beautiful.
I can't wait to hear all about your quilting frame. Mind if I pick your brains at the Retreat???

memmens said...

Simply stunning - well done lady. As for the WIPS I find banishing them from my mind helps a lot!

Di said...

It is ll the better for being sewn slowly. I don't like wip hanging around either. Di x

Tammy said...

It looks fab and i love that swirly quilt pattern. I am the opposite of you, I have WIP all over the place!

Sarah said...

The top looks great! I've just finished my Swoon top last week.how do you get your quilting symbols so even? Are you following a pantograph?

Leanne said...

I love your quilt. I also love the quilting stitch you used, it reminds me of vintage quilts. I am going to have to practice to see if I can manage it consistently on my machine.

Nat at Made in Home said...

Amazing!

Elisabeth said...

Your Swoon quilt is gorgeous and definitely worth waiting for! I love that pattern.

Kleep said...

That is beautiful! Great work, love the quilting on it. Funny how some quilts just need a little time to "cure" before they're ready!

Katy Cameron said...

Looking fabulous dahling!